Saturday 28 July 2007

Now I have a plan

Right, I've thought about this a bit more now. I've been reading James Woodforde's 'Diary of a Country Parson (1758 - 1802)' recently (admittedly very slowly - that's the penalty of the school holidays). I like that idea that he recorded a great deal not about the 'great events' of the late 18th century, but about the minutiae of his life - what was for dinner, what he paid his blacksmith (and spirits smuggler), who in the local community came to visit or was rude. It's a rather lovely record of what was important in his life over a 45 year period.

I'm not claiming to be making such a record here, but I would like to record what's happening generally in my (our) lives. I always thought I would remember my children's early years in huge detail and glorious technicolour but the truth is that Eldest turned 6 ten days ago and I don't know where that time has gone. Before Middlingest and Youngest get beyond 4 and 2 I'd like to make a record of this time.

I've already started 'memory books' for each of them, just recording little incidents out of their childhoods (like when Eldest slipped on the stairs, then went back to the top and asked for another go!) that I think they will like to hear when they're older. This is much more about recording how I feel about things and how the housewifely stuff is going. I don't believe anyone will read it (I once heard blogs described as 'written by people who erroneously believe anyone cares about their lives') but it's a useful recording method for me, at least until the Internet is superseded by something even more wizzy.

If anyone is reading this, best of luck.

No comments: